Sunday, April 21, 2013

You get what you pay for...

(image included for visual interest)

For this project I purchased a drill press accessory for my trusty Dremel.  It's less accurate than I was hoping it would be, unfortunately the Dremel is light weight enough (and spins at between 5000 and 35,000 rpm) that the drill bit has a tendency to wobble and flop around.  This lead to some imprecise drilling today; in places where precision is important I'll have to fudge things with larger holes and some extra epoxy.  In light of these facts I'll be redesigning many of the parts to make the assembly process simpler and faster (with larger alignment dowels / rods).  Much of the design complexity was due to channels I made for screws and shafts, I'm now thinking life can be simplified (and made more accurate) with a drill template for each piece.  A real drill press would probably help as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment